Elizabeth Newton
3rd Year Writing: 1:00 Class
February 2, 2011
3rd Year Writing: 1:00 Class
February 2, 2011
Project Proposal
I must admit that I am an individual who is not afraid to enjoy Christmas year-round. Christmas music is never absent from my IPod, nor do I find it a sin to listen to it in the spring, summer, or fall. This being the case, I naturally have picked a Christmas-related topic for my project. However, it is related to an aspect of Christmas I find troubling. Our society has polluted the true message of Christmas to one centered on an icon. It is this icon I wish to explore: Santa Claus and the culture of individuals who portray him.
My main research question will be: Why do you choose to dress up as Santa Claus? Additional questions I will research are as follows: Does this job give you a greater appreciation for Christmas, or does it have the opposite effect? What do you do in the off-season? How did you first begin this job? Do you feel your presence distracts from the true meaning of Christmas? Etcetera.
I will also explore different customs and variances in Santas. For instance, through my preliminary research I have found conflict between those with authentic beards and those without. I am also curious to know if there is a difference between Santas who appear in malls and those who work smaller venues.
To gain insight into this profession, I will explore groups such as The Amalgamated Order of Real Bearded Santas, Santa’s Rampage, the Santa Claus Network, and other related sites. Most importantly, I will attempt to access information by contacting malls, such as Green Hills and Cool Springs, and large department stores, such as Bass Pro Shop, to interview their Santas. Personal interviews will provide me with the most thorough answers to the questions I have proposed.
I am definitely an outsider of this culture and will never be able join (closest I can come is Mrs. Claus). This is a male-exclusive group. While this will create some difficulties in my research and understanding, it will also provide a unique perspective.
As I previously mentioned, I have a deep appreciation for Christmas, but a hesitation about the tradition of Santa Claus. I hope this assignment will help me and my reader see another side of this figure and deepen our love for Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment