I was surprised that out of the 5 or 6 people I encountered during my observations, the male students never acknowledged my presence. The female students, however, all made eye contact with me at one point. They appeared to be more aware of their surroundings- constantly looking around at people walking through or sounds made. The men, on the contrary, we lost in what they were doing. One male student was in the corner doing what appeared to be homework while listening and rocking back and forth to his music. In the thirty minutes I was there, I never saw him look away from what he was doing.
One thing that intrigued me was the girl sitting at the table near me. She appeared to be very anxious or nervous about what she was doing. Also, as she got up to leave from the table, I noticed she was wearing high heels. As she walked, she seemed to be very unsteady on her feet, as if she was not used to wearing them. Since he outfit was very casual, I wondered as to why she chose to wear heels.
The thing that disturbed me was the phone conversation the girl sitting across from me had. She has tried several attempts to call someone, but apparently no one had answered. She finally made contact with someone and appeared to have a quiet argument. During my whole observation of her, she seemed upset or angry about something.
I had my computer with me for the assignments, so I simply copied by notes onto this blog.Massey 3rd floor
1. Girl
a. picking at chick. Sand.;
b. listening to head phones/watching something on her computer
c. seems focused, not very excited to watch it. Class assignment?
d. Makes a phone call-no one answers/ or voicemail.
e. Bored- picking at nails, biting fingers
f. Hopefully unaware of me watching her
g. Trying phone call again- looking very perplexed, sucking on lips, playing with eye brow- made contact, looking angry. Talking quietly., noticed me watching her.
h. Dress, belt, ugg boots- red computer
2. Guy in back corner,
a. relaxed, headphones in, typing on computer;
b. must be listening to music, gently swaying to something and tapping his feet,
c. starts to randomly stretch his neck,
d. getting more into his music- tapping feet and hands, head moving up and down
e. completely oblivious to the rest of the world
3. Girl at table,
a. very focused, headphones in, hw;
b. appears stressed or nervous. Deep sighs,
c. using I pad
d. Taking a break
e. Awkwardly made eye contact, as if to say, “Why are you watching me?”
f. Packing up-random time to leave for class (1:25)
g. Difficulty walking in heels
h. Left for computer lap…..noticed I was watching her?
4/5. Two guys at table- helping each other with work.
a. Appear to be slightly older- grad students or seniors?
b. Eating wendy’s.
c. Younger guy appears to be helping the older.
d. Younger using hand gestures to explain something to the older- wearing toboggan
e. Older, dressed as if to appear younger- hoodie, tshirt, jeans
Girl can’t decide where to go….starts to walk through the lobby and turns around, turns back around and walks through
Older men and women walking out of the elevator and disappearing down the hall
Lobby- very quiet. Gentle hum of the vending machines, crinkle of potato chip wrapper….elevator occasionally opening- dinging
No one sitting near another, all with our own designated spaces.
Walls filled with posters advertising school of business and one random mirror.
Copy machine, recycle bins
Girls noticed me-guys didn’t
No comments:
Post a Comment