Friday, January 28, 2011

Research Possibilities

There are many cultures and subcultures I have interest in researching. Unfortunately some of these, such as people who dress up like Santa Claus, are difficult to find sources or are simply out of season. Still, there are a few more I have taken interest in:

1. Clowns. This is an interesting group of people. It is a group of individuals who have chosen a career that has the ability to make people laugh or run away in fear. I began thinking about this culture when the circus came to town last week. I am sad child who has never been to the circus and, therefore, have never had an opportunity to observe these artists at their finest. Through this project I will attempt to contact clowns who appear and circuses and birthday parties, communicate with schools geared for training clowns, hopefully go to a circus, as well as obtain an outsiders' opinions of clowns.

2. People born in the 1940s. I will admit this is a fairly large jump from my last topic, but bear with me, I'm eclectic. The people born in the 1940s were largely affected by World War II, even though they are unable to remember much of it. However, they were raised during the 1950s, the age of conformity, structure, and "The American Dream." I am interested in discovering the similarities and differences in their lives compared to each other as well as society today. In order to conduct this research, I will talk with people between the ages of 61-70, the generation before them, as well as trusted historians.

3. Trekkies/Star Wars Fanatics. Yes, I realize the two cultures I just listed are competing cultures, I have simply listed both because I am indecisive. I do not consider myself to be a part of either group (though I do tend to sway towards the latter), but I am well acquainted with members of both. These subcultures have flourished since the 1970s and are a vital part of America's pop culture. I wish to interview self-proclaimed Trekkies/Star Wars Fanatics, research more into their conventions and the decade they were introduced, as well as immerse myself in a bit of their culture.

No comments: